Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Chevy Z06 Pickup

Raul_Perez

So, what do you get when you mix a '50 Chevy pickup, a '53 Vette Roadster, a '94 Vette ZR-1, an '06 Z06 Vette and the bed from a '91 Chevy stepside pickup?

I don't know...but I hope it'll look something like an updated, Z06 version of the ZR-1 Chevy pickup that I built about 15 years ago. ;)

DSC03861-vi.jpg

DSC03877-vi.jpg

Last year I finally gave this one to my friend Rex "Mr. NNL West" Barden, so it's time for me to build an updated replacement.

DSC05020-vi.jpg

Here's where I am so far...

The rear fenders from the '50 Chevy pickup and the rear bumper from the '94 ZR-1 Vette have been grafted onto the bed from the '91 Chevy stepside pickup. For this build, I wanted a more modern looking bed than to original, box shaped one from the early 50's. This one has been slanted forward at the top to give it a more aggressive, "Vette" appearance.

DSC06658-vi.jpg

Since the rear of the bed has been reshaped, I'll have to either close up the back end or make a custom tailgate for it. Either way, this one will have a body-colored bed cover like the '57 Z06 Chevy pickup I built 2 years ago.

57ChevyPickup01-vi.jpg

Yes, this one will be RED, too. ;)

Well, next is adding the front fender extensions and headlights from the '53 Vette.

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

"Truck-Meister" indeed! You really are in your element when you tackle a pickup. That bed is grrrrreatttt and will be the guidepost that will keep the "more modern" theme in focus for the rest of the build. (BTW, go for the working tailgate, what the heck!) Those rear fenders, combined with the '53 Vette headlights and that bed tell me this one will be a positive evolution beyond the already awesome '57 Z06. Love the idea of the tunneled taillights, too. (It appeals to my Old Skool instincts I'm sure) These full custom pickups have so much style they say 1:1 to me... :)

Edited by gbk1

Thats quit the combo to stuff into one build.. :D

Can't wait to see how another one of your builds turns out.

I'm a Great watcher.

Got nothing to add but

WOW...

every now & then. :)

Wow Raul, looks like you got another one going, and this would look great sitting next to the Avanti. Keep it up, and hopefully you will have this done by the time I leave.

Thanks, guys!! Yeah, it'll be the same color as the Avanti salt flat racer!!

Later,

The "TRUCK-MEISTER" has returned :P .

I will definately will be watching this build.

Great start Raul - dave :) .

"Truck-Meister"...now that's a funny name for someone who has never owned a truck!! :lol:

"Truck-Meister" indeed! You really are in your element when you tackle a pickup. That bed is grrrrreatttt and will be the guidepost that will keep the "more modern" theme in focus for the rest of the build. (BTW, go for the working tailgate, what the heck!) Those rear fenders, combined with the '53 Vette headlights and that bed tell me this one will be a positive evolution beyond the already awesome '57 Z06. Love the idea of the tunneled taillights, too. (It appeals to mu Old Skool instincts I'm sure) These full custom pickups have so much style they say 1:1 to me... :D

Thanks, Bernard!!

Actually, the aesthetics of early pickups aren't all that hard to improve on. Back then they were were designed more for commercial use than they were for styling statements.

Yeah...it'll take some doing to make this one better than the '57 version, but that's the general idea!

Later,

Oh Yeah! we're in for another sweet ride!!! I jus like how you do things,Raul. They just seem to flow out SOOOO nicely! The rear end will look GOOD with those tailight openings.Remindes me of an early 2000 Caddy DTS.(De Ville). You sure gotta way with pick-up's if I do say so myself! It's GREAT to see another "work of wonder" commin off your bench Raul. It'll be another KILLER too, if all goes as usual! :):D:lol:

So, what do you get when you mix a '50 Chevy pickup, a '53 Vette Roadster, a '94 Vette ZR-1, an '06 Z06 Vette and the bed from a '91 Chevy stepside pickup?

DSC06664-vi.jpg

I don't know...but I hope it'll look something like an updated, Z06 version of the ZR-1 Chevy pickup that I built about 15 years ago. :lol:

DSC03861-vi.jpg

DSC03877-vi.jpg

Last year I finally gave this one to my friend Rex "Mr. NNL West" Barden, so it's time for me to build an updated replacement.

DSC05020-vi.jpg

Here's where I am so far...

The rear fenders from the '50 Chevy pickup and the rear bumper from the '94 ZR-1 Vette have been grafted onto the bed from the '91 Chevy stepside pickup. For this build, I wanted a more modern looking bed than to original, box shaped one from the early 50's. This one has been slanted forward at the top to give it a more aggressive, "Vette" appearance.

DSC06658-vi.jpg

I'll create a slightly recessed pocket in the openings that were left when I slanted the rear of the bed for the tail lights.

DSC06659-vi.jpg

Since the rear of the bed has been reshaped, I'll have to either close up the back end or make a custom tailgate for it. Either way, this one will have a body-colored bed cover like the '57 Z06 Chevy pickup I built 2 years ago.

57ChevyPickup01-vi.jpg

Yes, this one will be RED, too. :P

Well, next is adding the front fender extensions and headlights from the '53 Vette.

Later,

(Quote)

"Truck-meister....now that's a funny name for someone who's never owned a truck."

OK...... THEN WHO DID THESE REALLY BELONG TOO ??? :o:):D

Oh Yeah! we're in for another sweet ride!!! I jus like how you do things,Raul. They just seem to flow out SOOOO nicely! The rear end will look GOOD with those tailight openings.Remindes me of an early 2000 Caddy DTS.(De Ville). You sure gotta way with pick-up's if I do say so myself! It's GREAT to see another "work of wonder" commin off your bench Raul. It'll be another KILLER too, if all goes as usual! :D:lol::P

Thanks, George!! Yeah...I was thinking Caddy, too, when I looked that the opening!!

So sitting next to the avanti? I was in San Deigo a few weeks ago, I left before the NNL I think.

You were in sunny CA and you didn't stop by for a visit?! Blasphemy!! :)

Anyway, I only go to the NNL West in Santa Clara. There's about a 500 mile difference.

Maybe we'll see you in February for the next NNL West!!

Later,

You were in sunny CA and you didn't stop by for a visit?! Blasphemy!! :)

Anyway, I only go to the NNL West in Santa Clara. There's about a 500 mile difference.

Maybe we'll see you in February for the next NNL West!!

Later,

I was working. Is San Deigo close to you? I might be leaving here when I get back from over there, so I have no idea where we would be going.

:huh::huh: I cannot wait to see where this one will go!!

I do think you should go to a tilt bed on this one ...it would show off the transaxle!!

Thanks, Mike!! No, no tilt bed...with the way I'm planning on building the running boards, everything needs to stay connected...

(Quote)

"Truck-meister....now that's a funny name for someone who's never owned a truck."

OK...... THEN WHO DID THESE REALLY BELONG TOO ??? :o:):D

OK, OK...I never owned a 1:1 full scale pickup!! :P I've owned several 1:25th scale trucks!! :lol:

You guys are really getting particular on the details... :huh:

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

This is gonna be a cool project man, good luck! What paint and shade of red do you use or will be using on your truck? Looks like a nice shade and someting I am planning to use on a future model. :D

Thanks, Marcos!!

This one will be painted Testors Italian Red lacquer, just like the '57 I did 2 years ago...kind of a "Vette theme" thing...

I like where this is all headed. Can't wait to see more of the build.

Thanks, Virgil!! I've got the front fender extensions and the lower front roll pan grafted on...I'll post a few pics in the morning...

Later,

The front fender extensions from the '53 Vette and the custom front roll pan from the '49 Ford have been grafted onto the front of the pickup.

Like the previously version, I've lowered the grille in the opening about 1.5 scale inches. This helps give the front of the truck a slightly lower appearance and helps with getting the fender extensions in place without changing the size or shape of the grille opening.

In this photo you can see the 0.05" spacer between the top of the grille and the opening. The nose of the hood still needs to have a piece added to bring it down to fit the grille.

DSC06693-vi.jpg

DSC03862-vi.jpg

Back to cutting and gluing!!

Later,

You know Raul, I know you said it would be red, but what about GTS Blue? Just a thought. Anyway looks good so far. I have started 2 models myself but paint is where I hit a stopping point. Messed up both models. I dropped one, and the paint ruined the other. Great job!!!

Later,

You know Raul, I know you said it would be red, but what about GTS Blue? Just a thought. Anyway looks good so far. I have started 2 models myself but paint is where I hit a stopping point. Messed up both models. I dropped one, and the paint ruined the other. Great job!!!

Later,

Clay,

The new avatar with the family looks GREAT!!

Yes, I like GTS Blue, but this one will be red with light gray interior.

Next time you're in the area you need to stop by for some model car handling and painting lessons, (or just a beer)!! :P

Later,

Looks like you've got some great ideas cooking here, Raul.

These 50 era Chevy pickups are the ones to build right now. Can't wait to see this one progress.

Thanks, Alyn!!

So as to not keep you waiting, here's where I am with modifying the hood. :D

On the first build, all I did to the hood was to extend the front down slightly to align with the lowered grille and removed the rib that runs down the middle. This one has been also been extended to align with the lowered grille, but it has also been pie-cut and slanted back in the front to cut down some of the bull-nose and to align better with the profile shape of the headlight openings.

Here's a few comparison shots with an original hood and the modified hood.

DSC067181-vi.jpg

DSC067191-vi.jpg

DSC06721-vi.jpg

DSC06720-vi.jpg

Well, that's about all for today...I may also add either the cowl induction hood scoop from the '94 ZR-1 like I did to the '57 Chevy pickup below or the small front, forward facing scoop from the '06 Z06. I'll have to do a bit of testing in the computer to see which (if any) I like better.

57ChevyPickup11-vi.jpg

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez