Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Chrysler Newport Enforcer

Terry Jessee

chpnewport1-vi.jpg

chpnewport2-vi.jpg

chpnewport6-vi.jpg

These photos are of the only known, documented survivor. These were used by CHP in '62 after Chrysler Corporation went to their big downsize. The Dodges that year were only 116" wheelbase, and CHP required 122". So Chrysler added all the go-fast, heavy duty components from the '61 Custom 880 to the '62 Newport and the "Enforcer" was born.

model1-vi.jpg

This is a Modelhaus kit. I've already started removing the side chrome in this shot. Kit is mocked up here. It sits more level when the bumpers are installed.

This just needed to be built.

Terry

Looks great so far,My dad had one of these 62 Newports back in the late 60's,he did alot of work on the motor,and it was dyno'd at 535 hp,he still to this day talks about his Newport,It was White with the Blue interior,I'll be watching this one ,keep up the great work,I know this will be a master peice!

These photos are of the only known, documented survivor. These were used by CHP in '62 after Chrysler Corporation went to their big downsize. The Dodges that year were only 116" wheelbase, and CHP required 122". So Chrysler added all the go-fast, heavy duty components from the '61 Custom 880 to the '62 Newport and the "Enforcer" was born.

Terry

I was wondering why there'd be a Chrysler police car, as opposed to the cheaper Plymouth/Dodge. Seems odd a police agency would have a minumum wheelbase requirement for it's vehicles, but I guess...

I've always liked the '61/'62 Chryslers, and I've never seen one built up as a police car- this should be fun!

Nice. Dodge did have a big car halfway through the '62 model year. The dealers were livid that there was no big Dodge, so Chrysler did a down and dirty. By grafting the '61 Polara clip onto the Newport body, using the Polars dash and a hodgepodge of trim pieces, they created the Custom 880 for the total sum of $400,000. The next year they plumped for a new front clip, and in '64 the car got a tail lift.There's a sidebar on Dodge's Police Package for '63 and '64. Check out the June (?) 2006 Collectible Automobile for the full story.

I always thought the 1962 Chryslers and '62-64 Custom 880s were among the better-looking full-size cars of the 1960s.

I had heard a few years ago that Dave Burket was working on refurbishing the Revell '62 Newport convertible molds. I'm hoping that's still the case.

In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing what Terry does with this.

Charlie Larkin

Cool Terry I'm working on a Classic CHP car myslef.

I'm working off a diecast.

ambulance0070.jpg

I know they had one red spotlight and one clear but I only had red lenses.

Actually, with a roof mounted light bar both spotlights were clear and there would be no lights on the package shelf.

Nice one Terry, I love the big CHP cars from years gone by.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more work on the Newport....

Here's a couple shots of body work. I had to scrape and sand the side trim, and do a little filling and sanding.

model2-vi.jpg

The door handles needed some definition, so I scribed around them to bring them up a bit. Still have a little smoothing to do, but that's about all the body work that will be necessary.

model3-vi.jpg

Terry