Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Magnum Police Car

Zoom Zoom

The first time I saw one of these cars I knew I had to build a model of it. Having built a couple of the new Charger police cars, I piggybacked the build of this much-simpler model of the local Dekalb County Magnum police cruiser.

I started with Revell's 1/24 scale ultra-blinged out "Uptown" Magnum R/T, as it was not an SRT8. I glued the scissor doors in place, made some door handles, filled in the moonroof, used the front push bar, wheels/tires from a diecast Charger police kit, and one of the lightbars from the new plastic Charger police car. It's metallic black and silver, decals were printed by me on a friend's Alps and a color laser printer. I have to redo the red decals on the windows as I printed them on the laser and they're far too translucent.

I still have to add police goodies to the interior, lay out/print a license plate, and add front/rear strobe lights and some antennae.

Very fun, relatively simple curbside.

IMG_8214-vi.jpg

IMG_8218-vi.jpg

IMG_8215-vi.jpg

IMG_8216-vi.jpg

IMG_8217-vi.jpg

Fine job Bob. That looks fast sitting there, catch any crook in almost anything. My lady friend has one of these with a Hemi and it is fast, but uses lots of gas. A good trade off? Hers is white but man that black looks good on this vehicle, especially with the silver top and hood. I wonder what modifications they do to these for Police service like they used to modify the older Police cars with "heavy duty" or Police duty parts. Sure looks real. Another excellent build Bob. Patrick M

I saw this build in person yesterday and it's amazing. Bob, the warning on the windows shows up better in the pictures. Maybe, the lighting in the room wasn't good enough to show it clearly. The transparent effect of the window warnings is very cool.

Thanks for the replies!

I saw this build in person yesterday and it's amazing. Bob, the warning on the windows shows up better in the pictures. Maybe, the lighting in the room wasn't good enough to show it clearly. The transparent effect of the window warnings is very cool.

Thanks; the problem w/the letters is they should not be translucent at all. In fact they should be solid red w/a thin white outline, but I'd be happy w/just solid bright red. What's on the model now is rushed for the Anniston show, I'll peel those off the windows when I print out some better decals. Hopefully I'll have this thing finished before the show up in SC next month.