Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW COE Aero / BJ McKay rig

NIce work on the Aerodyne. Shortening the chassis is definitely the way to go - the whole idea of a cabover was to reduce the overall length of the rig and the one on the AMT box lid looks just plain wrong!

I've got one of these to build - I've had it for quite a while but plan to build it soon. Started this hobby in the 70's building truck kits and it'll make a change from my current trend of building hot rods and dragsters to go back to a big rig.

Keep up the good work and be sure to keep us updated.

Edited by Jim Whalen

Everything is falling into place.....At least that's what it looks like from here.....

Looks are deceiving :lol: One step forward three back is more like it.

Jim - Hope to see you building your kit soon.

Finally - Got a transmission for this old gal. Went ahead and painted the engine same as frame - looked at the site on the BJ McKay truck resto and it showed the remains of being red. But maybe "James" painted it. All that was left of the original Cummins 400 was the engine block being held in place by a wooden block.

P1223031.jpg

I have noticed that my hand for painting details with a brush is not as steady as it was four years ago when I was still building. :huh:

Now for the fun of air piping - whose idea was it to replace the kit Detroit with a Cummins anyway :wacko:

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Put the cab on to keep my forward momentum , and to check for clearances for air intake piping. As soon as I can get to town to get some Tamiya primer I will be painting my wheels and fuel tanks.

P1243034.jpg

I should of built a snap kit for my introduction back into the big trucks :lol:

P1253038.jpg

That Maxi and others are for you Q tip

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Sean, just thought of something that I haven't seen anyone one do with a bj and the bear truck, now don't start cussin' yet this is easy! don't forget the childs car seat that bear sat in..... :D john

Great idea John, I found a 1/48 P-40 seat in the parts box, add a pedestal, some padding and safety bar that will be easy !

P1253041.jpg

Thanks ;)

Got the bunk painted up

P1263048.jpg

Calling the interior done.

Edited by Old Buckaroo

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys, In all honesty this truck has been sealed in a box since my move to Montana.  All that was lacking was spraying the red on the cab and decals , and finial bits. 

I guess I should bring it back to the bench - I never expected this to be dredged up out of the depths and back on the main page. :lol:

• 3 months later...

After several years I finally got the cab painted with partial decals .

Angel - my decals had that area printed red, matching it was not easy.I think after the decals get cleared the reds will be closer.:unsure:

PC064357.jpg

Clayton are you looking ? I am digging out these old dinosaurs and finishing them up to try and Motivate you ;)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

After several years I finally got the cab painted with partial decals .

Angel - my decals had that area printed red, matching it was not easy.I think after the decals get cleared the reds will be closer.:unsure:

PC064357.jpg

Clayton are you looking ? I am digging out these old dinosaurs and finishing them up to try and Motivate you ;)

Oh boy. I know I need to get busy building. This is lookin good Sean.