Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot rod mag

Wow. All the complaints are from guys who want to live in the past. That's not a bad thing, but it may mean that magazines that are exclusively about old cars may be a better choice...it doesn't mean that HRM sucks. Carbs and stripped-down Camaros are fast becoming a thing of the past. Guys who built hot rods back in the '50s and '60s didn't shoot for the retro "grampa built it that way" look. The styling of the cars may be timeless, but what's under the hood doesn't have to be. Was Stu Hilborn a heretic? I say no. HRM is changing with the times. I'd rather see efi swap articles than those two-wheel v-twin turds they put in the magazine for a while in the '90s.

I think they are doing a great job. That's why I subscribed for the first time in about 20 years.

I don't like Hot Rod magazine much either, but not because I'm stuck in the past. I just don't care for the format. It's too much like C&D and R&T. I prefer Hemming's Muscle Machines for great reading and fewer ads. I subscribe to all three of the Hemming's titles. HR is written for a sixth grade reader where as Hemming's is written for adults as well as Collectible Automobile. CA has no ads whatsoever. It costs more but I prefer the prose in this and Hemming's mags. I like articles about EFI and computer stuff for cars, but HR just loses me with all the ads.

I don't like Hot Rod magazine much either, but not because I'm stuck in the past. I just don't care for the format. It's too much like C&D and R&T. I prefer Hemming's Muscle Machines for great reading and fewer ads. I subscribe to all three of the Hemming's titles. HR is written for a sixth grade reader where as Hemming's is written for adults as well as Collectible Automobile. CA has no ads whatsoever. It costs more but I prefer the prose in this and Hemming's mags. I like articles about EFI and computer stuff for cars, but HR just loses me with all the ads.

I am with you hemmings muscle and those mags are fantastic I have never been disappointed with one of their magazines.

I subscribe to Hot Rod(and a bunch of other mags,because they were cheap).Hot Rod has been,for the most part,the magazine of flashy,high dollar builds.Car(cass) Craft is a bit lower budget and more "how to".Pop Rod is trying to succeed with Pro Touring but is/was always a pale imitation of Hot Rod.

Edited by ZTony8

I used to subscribe to Hot Rod back in the late 70s and the 80s. I still have about 60 pounds of those magazines.

Just recently my Dad was subscribing to HR. I took a look and liked what I saw. The format is punchy like a gossip mag which makes for an easy read. The feature cars are about as unique as you are going to find in an auto mag. I like that they evaluate them on looks, bang for the buck, drivability, etc. Usually there is at least one feature car I really like. I subscribe now too.

I had Rod and Custom for about a year before that. Not much variation there. When one of the contributing editors included a political rant in an article it was time to let them know I was leaving.

Scott

From what I am reading here I think Hot Rod magazine is mainly aimed at the younger crowd. It may be a go-to mag. for how to hop up your decade old to new car. It was my favorite Magazine from the time I was about 8 until maybe 35. I think that's about when Rod and Custom came back and I switched over to it. It was more of a custom car mag. back in the day and became more of a mix with more hot rods from my era. Yes, I loved it when older guys called me Hot Rod back when I was young.

Now there are so many publications it makes it hard to choose. I would pick any of them up off the coffee table to read. I wish there were more on the table when you have to wait at Dr,s office, dentist, or any other place of business with a waiting area. All I seem to see is PEOPLE, Sports Illustrated, or maybe Motor Trend if you are lucky. I would be in shock if I ever saw MCM on a table anywhere, I have never seen it on a newsstand even. But I do like the fact that there is not excessive advertising in it and most of the ads are model related.

I once had a subscription to Hot Rod; it was a Christmas gift from my Mom when I was 12. I kept it for many years until I got tired of seeing so many Chevys. I had a subscription to Car Craft but the magazine got too weird, and again, too many Chevys. I also had a subscription to Car and Driver for a while; I enjoyed the National Lampoonish-type humor, but I lost interest in the new car test articles. All of those magazines have changed over the years due to demographics, editorial and publishing staff changes, automotive trends, phase of the moon, et al. I currently do not subscribe to any magazines, but that will likely change soon. Those I will subscribe to will be MC and SA (and possibly FSM)as I always do buy them when and where I can find them. As for automotive (and aircraft and model railroad) and Esquire magazines, I'll check the covers of whatever issue is on the rack; if it looks interesting, I'll check out the contents, if I like what I see, I'll buy it. Even that philosophy is limited to just a select few periodicals. Magazines ain't cheap anymore, even when one considers the value of a dollar, and I'm from the generation that remembers Hot Rod magazine when it cost just 35 cents an issue. There might have been a lot of advertising but where else (at that time) could I read about so much automotive stuff in one place at the age of 13?

I used to subscribe to Hot Rod back in the late 70s and the 80s. I still have about 60 pounds of those magazines.

Just recently my Dad was subscribing to HR. I took a look and liked what I saw. The format is punchy like a gossip mag which makes for an easy read. The feature cars are about as unique as you are going to find in an auto mag. I like that they evaluate them on looks, bang for the buck, drivability, etc. Usually there is at least one feature car I really like. I subscribe now too.

I had Rod and Custom for about a year before that. Not much variation there. When one of the contributing editors included a political rant in an article it was time to let them know I was leaving.

Scott

Yes, some people like the style, I'll admit. I just am not into that. Gossip mags I don't read, and I don't want my car mags to reflect those types of publications. There was a formula you could use to determine the reading age level of a book, newspaper, or other periodical. I forgot exactly what it was, but it would be interesting to sit down and ponder the levels of a HRM compared to a Hemming's publication.

I believe I found the formula we used in my HS lit class. We omitted calculating the 3000 word list of easy words to simplify the equation. Darned math is everywhere, including my old Eng Lit class.

The Dale–Chall formula

Edgar Dale, a professor of education at Ohio State University, was one of the first critics of Thorndike's vocabulary-frequency lists. He claimed that they did not distinguish between the different meanings that many words have. He created two new lists of his own. One, his "short list" of 769 easy words, was used by Irving Lorge in his formula. The other was his "long list" of 3,000 easy words, which were understood by 80% of fourth-grade students. In 1948, he incorporated this list in a formula which he developed with Jeanne S. Chall, who was to become the founder of the Harvard Reading Laboratory.

To apply the formula:

1. Select several 100-word samples throughout the text.
  2. Compute the average sentence length in words (divide the number of words by the number of sentences).
  3. Compute the percentage of words NOT on the Dale–Chall word list of 3,000 easy words.
  4. Compute this equation

Raw Score = 0.1579*(PDW) + 0.0496*(ASL) + 3.6365

Where:

Raw Score = uncorrected reading grade of a student who can answer one-half of the test questions on a passage. PDW = Percentage of Difficult Words not on the Dale–Chall word list. ASL = Average Sentence Length

Finally, to compensate for the "grade-equivalent curve," apply the following chart for the Final Score:

Raw Score --- Final Score 4.9 and below --- Grade 4 and below 5.0 to 5.9 --- Grades 5–6 6.0 to 6.9 --- Grades 7–8 7.0 to 7.9 --- Grades 9–10 8.0 to 8.9 --- Grades 11–12 9.0 to 9.9 --- Grades 13–15 (college) 10 and above --- Grades 16 and above

Correlating 0.93 with comprehension as measured by reading tests, the Dale–Chall formula is the most reliable formula and is widely used in scientific research.

In 1995, Dale and Chall published a new version of their formula with an upgraded word list, the New Dale–Chall Readability Formula

I recently subscribed to Street Rodder and recived my whole year subscription within the next 30 days I think. Some days there were two in the mailbox. That must be how they get rid of leftover issues and maybe why they date them months ahead. I got March issue in December. So much for bargins.

How is it relevant to the topic of this thread?

How is Street Rodder arriving two at a time relevant to this thread?

What makes the difference? It is The Off Topic Lounge! Anyway they are both magazines, which makes them somewhat relevant. Who cares besides you?

Sorry if I offended anyone else. Maybe I should just stick to discussions about models.

Oh sorry, I guess this is General, My Mistake.

Edited by rmvw guy

What makes the difference? It is The Off Topic Lounge! Anyway they are both magazines, which makes them somewhat relevant. Who cares besides you?

Sorry if I offended anyone else. Maybe I should just stick to discussions about models.

Oh sorry, I guess this is General, My Mistake.

not to worry, It will be moved sooner or later . I thought we were talking about magazines too. :P