Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Fury Custom Suburban " Long Roof "

Mopar - D

Thanks Tom I was wondering about that too it seamed to big a pattern. Well I did not like the color of the interior as it looked to dark for what I was trying to get so now it's a lighter blue with dark inserts I think it's closer to what it should be now. Also I now have color on the body. I added some black wash on the wheels too.

3504d8ff3a236354c92b89518823f73e.jpg

23b4e0f9a0361f2ae7b7d356be54743a.jpg

Dan, This is really, really looking good! Your decision to repaint the interior was a wise one I think and those stock caps look oh so righteous!! Respectfully, I concur that a finer weave material for the headliner would look good but then, that's just my thought. Believe me, I am not criticizing. I've never seen a headliner done this way before so yeah - it does look awesome just as it is and is a vast improvement over just leaving it bare plastic. The headliner in my 1:1 was I believe, a kind of perforated hardboard with "chrome" plastic strips that ran across the headliner where the panels joined, rather than the normal vinyl or cloth. It's been a few years and I could be wrong on the material so if someone else knows better, feel free to correct me. I thought that I was wrong about something once - but as it turned out, I was actually right. :D

You are doing wonders with this and it sure is looking a lot like the 1:1 that I had which was a light silver blue like your car with the interior being a very pretty blue - kinda like your car. I'm wishing now that I had kept it after seeing this build. Nice work. :)

johnbuzzed, on 12 Nov 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

If I remember correctly, the headliner on my '67 wagon was not cloth, but a hard material, with almost a pegboard "feel", and zillions of tiny holes. Did the '68s have soft headliners?

John, your memory does indeed serve you correctly. These wagons had a solid headliner just as you described and it actually looked good until they got moisture on then. The wagon that I had was almost the 1:1 twin of what Dan is building. It sure was a pretty car and I hated to see it go when I sold it. A 318 poly with automatic, power steering and power brakes made for a nice driver. Mind you, those 60's and even 70's C body cars were so under appreciated and many a good car gave up it's engine for some model that was more popular with the car crowd. Today, Mopar guys scramble to buy a Sport Fury or Polara convertible but the appreciation came much too late for most of them. It's actually pretty sad. :mellow:

Dan- That left side BMF could use some clean up. I often take photos of my in progress builds just to see things that aren't apparent as I look at the model. You can just scribe lightly (no more pressure than drawing with a pencil) at the edge of the trim and carefully pull away the excess with a toothpick. If that doesn't work, it's easy to pull the BMF off and try again. It's one of the aspects of your model where you get do overs! You did such a good job of creating that trim, I just had to speak up. You can get it perfect!

Thanks Jim the head liner came out better after it dryied it took like 3 days.

Thanks Carl I like the lighter blue interior better.

Thanks Tom yea I'm not done with the left side I'm like you I think I'm done until I take the pictures and then I see that I'm not. Yesterday was my grand daughters birthday so I did not get time to fix it before posting.

Dan, this is a very nice built but I have to pipe in on this one.

Jim, The wagons were in fact named Suburban by Plymouth. The name was used from 49 to 77. I currently own two of them. Hence my avatar name and picture. Here is a picture of my 70 tailgate that has the name plate still on it.

70SPORTSUBURBAN01A.jpg

I can tell you I spent years looking for replacement nameplates for my Sport Suburban as they were easily broken. I have a set of Custom Suburban emblems also.

I will say that many people call them Fury wagons because that is what they are based on but Plymouth did not. Here is a shot of the correct fender emblem that would go on the 68 model Dan is building here. It goes in the same spot on the fender that Fury I is on a car.

68customsuburban.jpg

Hi Raoul, as someone who worked at Chrysler's Corporate head quarters, I can tell you from first hand knowledge, that Corporate called the Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge versions wagons. The advertizing department was in charge of the badging on all the models, and they were the ones calling them Suburbans. In the early years, it wasn't important or a issue, but later in the mid 60's Corporate was getting concerned that there would be issues between Chrysler and GM over the badging, which is why they ordered a end to it in late 76. That's the reason why the 77 model year was the last to carry the badging. Though there was never any legal issues from GM over it, there was conversations between Chrysler and GM where GM many times, especially in the mid 70's, expressed their displeasure about it. When Lee Iacocca took over the rains of Chrysler, the advertizing department wanted to bring the badging back for the 81 release of the Reliant and Aries wagon models, and Mr. Iacocca told them no, for the same reason as before, he did not want potential legal issues to develop between Chrysler and GM, especially since he was in the middle of trying to bring Chrysler out of financial difficulties, and didn't want a issue with GM that could cost them more financial trouble. I was there in early 1980, during that period and remember, very well, the memos floating around about it. But it's like I said, at least I think I mentioned it before, If I didn't, I sure meant to, that calling them a Suburban is as correct as calling them a wagon. I wasn't trying to tell Dan that he was wrong in calling his build a Suburban, I was just asking him why he didn't call it a wagon or station wagon, which was more common for the times. I was only trying to kindly point out that someone who wasn't born back in the day of the station wagon, or had much knowledge of them, might have mistook his title, and thought they were coming into his thread to check out a Town Wagon (or the 4 wheel drive version Power Wagon, not to be confused with the pickup truck version) or Ramcharger build. Which were Chrysler's versions of the GM Suburban. That was my only motive for bringing the subject up of the name. We, the experienced modeler's have to remember, that there are young, first time, and inexperienced modelers coming into this area, and sometimes, they may not have the automotive knowledge that some of us older modelers have. A good example is, the other day, my 15 year old adopted son and his firend saw a 74 Chevy Impala station wagon, while in the car with me, and called it a really old Chevy SUV. I had to explain to him that it wasn't the same as a SUV and what the difference was.

Anyways, sorry Dan didin't mean to seem like I was hijacking your thread. Your build is coming along really nicely, and I like the color choice you made.